Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Flowers in London

Though it occasionally rained and hailed this weekend in London, spring had taken over the gardens, and squirrels were running around... I've always loved tulips - and all bulb flowers. When my sister was born, my grandma brought me to the florist's to buy a bouquet for my mum; I chose red tulips.

Many of you loved the book cover pictured in a post last month - that of Turgenev's First Love, part of Penguin's Great Love collection. So I thought I'd show you another tome I bought from that same series, Giovanni's Room; I haven't read anything by James Baldwin yet, so I'm very excited...
Click on any title from Great Love to read a fascinating interview with David Pearson, Penguin Press Designer, who explains his design methods for creating the covers of this collection. He's a genuine artist.

15 comments:

EvaAmarri said...

I cant remember the last time i saw a squirrel. Those flowers r so pretty

mansuetude said...

that squirrel just for a second look like he had a carved wooden head-dress on. :)

I like "go tell it on a mountain" as my favorite, and the short story, "sonny's blues". Odd, i opened a box of old books today and found a tribute in there to JB, and thought, i should re-read him. One of my favs.

Unknown said...

oh my...london in spring. must be so beautiful. red tulips are my favorite (i'm staring out at them right now) but they somehow seem much more romantic growing in london.

Mary-Laure said...

Mansuetude - Thanks for the reading suggestions! I love hearing what books the people around me enjoyed; it really helps find entry points into the works of writers...
It's so funny that you were thinking of James Baldwin just today!

Jill said...

beautiful flowers, but it's that squirrel photo that is cracking me up...I hope he's not digging up someone's flower bulbs!

Anonymous said...

tu voyages beaucoup derniérement.
Que fais-tu à Londres si souvent ?

marie said...

oh i love spring too :)
that cover is beautiful too!
(im saving up some book buying money!)

momo said...

lovely flowers. I heart spring...

Mrs.French said...

Lovely photos and lovely memories...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for delivering spring to my computer with your beautiful flowers!

Mónica said...

I love UK just because of the squirrels there are, everywhere. I remember one day in Hyde Park, we fed a squirrel, I can't believe it! she took the food from our hands. beautiful pictures,)

ALL THE BEST said...

Beautiful! I adore tulips!!

Mary-Laure said...

ANONYMOUS - qui es-tu, petit(e) curieux(se)? Je vais a Londres pour une serie de seminaires pour lesquels je suis inscrite cette annee; le dernier aura lieu fin avril.

ATELIER - yes, those squirrels are really not afraid of people! It's amazing how comfortable they are around us...

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting!

Julz Nally said...

the tulips are wonderful with the red flowers sprinkled in between! what a cute squirrel too :) i can't wait to see more photos taken around london!