Carriere de Boulbon
Sunday July 16, 10pm
Was it a naughty Boulgakov or Gogol who had taken over the Avignon Festival direction? Considering the abundant absurdity of this production, the question may be relevant; this is how the conversation between the artistic directors went...
"- Why don't we do Homer's ILLIAD?
- Hmm... A bit mainstream, don't you think?
- We'll make it a musical, then!
- It's been done before...
- But not... in Russian!
- Now you're talking! And why don't we jump on the kung fu bandwagon?
- Hell why not - Hollywood did it!
- Yeah, I really liked "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"...
- Over 2 hours long and not a bit boring, as I recall. Get my drift?
- OK, so it's settled... [scribbling down] Homer's ILLIAD: A 3-Hour Kung Fu Musical In Russian."
And they went ahead with it.