Friday, March 14, 2008

Doors of Paris

Here are two doors from around my neighborhood. I love their colorful mosaics.

I will be out of town this weekend, so there won't be a Flowers of Paris post. I'll be back on Monday with plenty of surprises, including tales of my weekend and amazing presents I just received from my grandmother in Uruguay (hint: 1940's silk).

Among these gifts was a very special book: Idea Vilariño, one of my favorite poets and an elderly Uruguayan lady, signed a copy of her Poemas de Amor for me; the dedication reads Para Marie-Laure, desde lejos, Idea. (For Marie-Laure, from afar, Idea). Here's one of her poems (translation by moi), typical her laconic but poignant style:

Dónde el sueño cumplido
y dónde el loco amor
que todos
o que algunos
tras la serena máscara
pedimos de rodillas.

(Where is the fulfilled dream
and where is the mad love
that all of us
or some
from behind the peaceful mask
beg for on our knees)

12 comments:

marie said...

beautiful..and i love the doors..what area of paris do you live in? et aussi bon weekend! i can't wait to hear about it!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Oh paris I miss you so much, will come back someday soon!

Jo said...

beautiful, beautiful doors!!! have a wonderful weekend dear mary laure!

Mary-Laure said...

Dear Marie - I live in the 12th arrondissement (métro Daumesnil), on the Eastern edge of Paris. It's really not a touristy area, but rather a residential neighborhood with plenty of little stores, unpretentious (if not very trendy) cafés, a wonderful outdoor market and several schools (the top picture is a kindergarden), which means that lots of families leave around here and that there are always lots of little kids on the streets - I love that!
You'll see for yourself when you visit me!!

Dear Jen - when you come back, we definitely have to hang out together...

Ella Gregory said...

You are so lucky to live around such stunning buildings

Anonymous said...

Idea's poem is so simple and beautiful. To pay hommage to her, I wish it were translated (by you bloggers) in as many languages as possible. Here is a French try:

Ou est ce reve accompli
Ou est notre amour fou
Pour qui tous a genoux
Ou pour certains
Sous nos masques sereins
Nous vouons nos prieres

mansuetude said...

thank you for this poem, the beautiful soul of it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem. It's powerful how the poet omits the verb:
Where (is) the fulfilled dream,
and where (is) the mad love
that all
or some
behind the serene mask
ask (beg) for on our knees
It's true that "beg" has a connotation that "mendigar" has not, that's why the poet asks for in Spanish (and begs for in your translation).
I loved the doors too, I often stop in front of a door to admire the stone design, or the mosaics, or the heavy carved wood ...
Thank you, Mary-Laure.

Anonymous said...

Why dont' you show us pictures of your Grandma's clothes? I love the black dress you pictured in one post!

Kwana said...

Loevly. And the doors are beautiful. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

here is another try:

Ou s'accomplit le songe ou
Ou cet amour fou
Que tous
Ou que d'aucuns
Sous des masques sereins
quemandons a genoux

Mary-Laure said...

Anonymous - don't fret, I will post pics of my grandma's clothes this week. I promise.

Traveler' soul - you're such a gifted translator!! Bravo! I admire your intimate devotion to words.

Laura - thanks for your remarks. I chose to translate PEDIMOS by BEG because BEG has religious connotations that I thought were consistent with PEDIMOS DE RODILLAS...