Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rina's Tag

I've been tagged by Rina, a maravillosa art-and-literature-loving Argentine who lives in Chile...

1. What were you doing 10 years ago?
I was living in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where I was teaching and doing research in literature and languages. I spent the crazy summer of 98 in Middlebury, Vermont, in a Japanese immersion program.

2. What are the 5 things on your to-do list today?
Buy fresh fruit, blog, sew ribbons on my pointe shoes, catch up on late emails, take a ballet class.

3. Snacks you enjoy
Anything with chocolate in it, really good bread, summer fruit.

4. Places you have lived
In chronological order: Iran, Kenya, Iraq, China, then-British Hong-Kong, Paris, Cambridge (Massachusetts), Paris again.

5. What are 5 things you would do if you were a Billionaire?
I'd give to charities devoted to animals... fund virtual libraries... get everyone plenty of presents... travel to Russia and Japan... buy a house with horses by the sea in California.

6. People you want to know more about:
Writers Emily Dickinson, Marina Tsvetaeva, Idea Vilariño and JM Coetzee, ballerina Anna Pavlova, choreographer George Balanchine, Ballets Russes master Sergei Diaghilev, politician Jawaharlal Nehru.

I'm a bit too shy to tag 6 people but right now I'd like to tag Chloé and PVE Design. Post rules at the beginning of the post. Answer all of the questions, tag 6 people, go to their blog and leave them a comment to inform them that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog for rules. Let the person who tagged you know when you've posted your answers.

23 comments:

pve design said...

Mary-Laure,
I have played this exact tag before, but my dog Bentley just stepped up to the plate to play a good game of fetch and tag! Hope that is alright...He promises that
you will love it...and Benji will too! :)
Patricia ~ pve design

AsianCajuns said...

Thanks for commenting on our blog- yours is beautiful! (We used to be bun-heads too. 16 years of pre-professional ballet... we haven't sewn point shoe ribbons on in about 8 years ;)

Andrea Tachezy said...

I would like to know more about those two women too, I like both very much.

yasu said...

i like reading about other people and their lives& thoughts..yours is always fascinating and extraordinary!

Rina said...

Gracias por responder el Tag! y es verdad que uno tiene la sensación que conoce un poco más del otro. Me encantó la lista de lugares donde viviste. Yo me mudé a Chile y me cambió la vida y la verdad que todo es bastante parecido en costumbres, idioma,etc, por eso me imagino todo lo que te debe dejar vivir en lugars como Iran, Japón...increíble!

Mary-Laure said...

ASIANCAJUNS - yeah, I bet sewing ribbons on toe shoes is not what you miss most about ballet, huh...

RINA - de nada! Me encanto contestar las preguntas.

Anonymous said...

Hello!

You must be a ballerina :}

Thanks for dropping a note at my blog cos now i get to discover yours. I love what you have going on, i'll definitely be reading from now on.

Goodday.

Hila said...

So you also dance ballet - me too! There was a period in my life where I considered doing it professionally, but I decided literature and writing are a bigger love for me. I still take regular classes though.

Just out of interest, what particular area in literature did you teach and research in?

/// said...

Oh you cute little ballerina, you! :)

Kitt said...

Japanese immersion, but you haven't been to/lived in Japan? You must remedy this!

(Where in China were you?)

Laura Neulat said...

Thank you for telling us about you ... and thank you to Rina too fot tagging you!

Laura in Paris said...

Hmmm, you like chocolate and good bread ... my baker on rue d'Ateuil sells a bun of bread with chips of white chocolate which is delicious!

Whitney said...

Well, needless to say I love your pointe shoe ribbon sewing, your taking ballet class, and your desire to know more about Pavlova and Diaghilev.

I love that ballet is so much a part of your life and thoughts. As a small participant in what was once your weekly ballet class, I'm vicariously proud. :)

marie said...

you have had an amazing life so far..
et im sure there's lots of things to come!

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

I'd like Benjy and Walter run by the Californian seaside while I lounge by your guest pool, re-reading Tolstoy. Providing you extend an invitation...I ain't no gate crasher :)

Anonymous said...

fascinating life! reminds me that i should live more;)
nancy

Mary-Laure said...

HILA - I can't believe how MUCH we have in common. Literature and dance are really my twin passions, though I always knew I wasn't talented enough to dance professionally.
I still take class several times a week.
My research was focused on Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, a novel I just adore. But I'm really not a born researcher and felt miserable toiling at my thesis...

KITT - I did spend a summer in Japan, and after that I decided that I must study Japanese, which eventually landed me in Middlebury Summer Language Schools.
As for China, I used to live in Beijing, a city I'm told has changed tremendously since in left in the early 90's.

WHITNEY - you are a fabulous ballet teacher! Some of the advice you gave me remains guiding principles for me, and I thinking of those tips every time I dance.
Thank you so much for giving and giving and giving your students.

Anonymous said...

hi, thank for your visiting, I like your blog, I promess to visit!, sory for my english, I´m learning but I doný know so much yet, kisses!!

vick

Elizabeth said...

Ahhhh, ballet, more to like about you!

Stacy said...

Houses and horses by the sea sound delightful and quite relaxing.

Jill said...

Now I know what you were doing in Cambridge! Always fun to know more about your interesting life, Mary-Laure.

Anonymous said...

To Jill: vous avez bien devine ou ML enseignait...by the way do you speak french?

tangobaby said...

What a magical list! I feel like watching Ballet Russes again, right now.