Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Shoes: Maurice Arnoult Exhibition


Maurice Arnoult is a craftsman, artist and teacher (as well as Righteous Among the Nations), who will turn 100 next week, and has been creating exquisite handmade shoes since 1937 in his Belleville atelier. I just visited the wonderful exhibition that pays tribute to his work and if you're in Paris this week this is absolutely a must-see show. In addition to shoes, you'll also be able to see a selection of photographs, Arnoult's amazing tools, and his ancient Singer machine. Kudos to the scenographer!
See more pictures on the exhibition's site (including snapshots of the step-by-step creation of these black and gold boots) as well as on Miss Glitzy's fab blog.

10am-7pm, Ateliers de Paris - 30 rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine 75012 Paris. Métro Bastille

Later this week I will show you the works of some of Arnoult's gifted students.

20 comments:

ROSA E OLIVIER said...

Piú giú, in fondo alla Tuscolana...!?...passavo per un saluto!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm in looooooove!!!!

Shoes! Shoes! Shoes! And these look perfect for my teeth!

MISS GLITZY said...

Thank you Miss for this post, I'm so glad you loved it.

Anonymous said...

oh i wish such care and craftmanship was put into shoes nowadays....
nancy

mansuetude said...

you are a treasure of knowing, really, aren't you! i love what shoes do, the way they extend (or exude) a rhythm to the attitude of woman--to her strength her sensuality her whimsical infidelities of a moment, her poetic pace, all of it, almost blends in with her shoes as she walks about, thinking of course, feeling! Knowing!

please sir said...

Love for shoes!

Elizabeth said...

The work is beautiful. If only!

EvaAmarri said...

He makes beautiful shoes. Great craftsman

jimena said...

una obra de arte sus zapatos!!

Laura in Paris said...

These shoes are beautifully done, it feels like one wants to touch them.

Rina said...

Inreíble estos zapatos. Amo los zaptaos!!!

Laura Neulat said...

You are like Rina and Taocito, amas los zapatos! And the ones you show in the pictures show that craftsmanship can be an art!

Anonymous said...

are these 4 sale or just an exhibition?

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

You know Miss G is my solemate!

Iñaki said...

I am in desperate need (or something close to that) of shoes and your fabulous post has only increased my urge!

xx

Mary-Laure said...

ANONYMOUS - I'm afraid these are not for sale. Many of the models were lent to the exhibition by private collectors... Sad, huh?

IMELDA - why am I not surprised?

tangobaby said...

Swoon! Mon Dieu, just another reason to cry because I am not in Paris.

Please, more photos!

pve design said...

My Grandfather ( I never met him - he died when my Mom was only 13) had a shoe shop and my mother still has the button loop to loop the bands over the buttons. I love shoes and the way they were made.
These are "incredible."

Anonymous said...

you seem to like shoes, eihn?

Anonymous said...

These shoes are not for me