Monday, September 13, 2010

Welcome, Lily

My friend Mariame is not only the most intelligent, best read and most articulate person I know, she also has a rare sensitivity, a true gift of empathy that have endeared her to me for over 10 years. A couple of years ago, I blogged about her wedding. And now she is a mother!
On August 26, she gave birth to a little girl, Lily. The uncanny thing is, just a few days ago I was reading a children's book about John Singer Sargent's masterpiece "Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose" and thinking what an enchanting name Lily was - without know that Mariame and her husband had chosen that very name for their baby! More uncannily yet, the very day Lily was born, I posted a picture of this painting on my blog.
As soon as Lily is old enough, I will buy her Hugh Brewster's magical book about this painting (above)...
Maybe one day Lily will have brother and sisters, echoing other Sargent paintings I adore - I just read Erica Hirshler's fascinating Biography Of Sargent's Daughters, which tells the story of "The Daughters of Edward Boit" (Sargent never had children of his own, bar his works).

In the meantime, I got her the same mouse hat I had chosen for another tiny friend, from ElleGanT's Etsy shop; I hope it keeps her warm in the Parisian winter.

Welcome to life, Lily! In my heart, you are already a treasure, a beloved trasure.

20 comments:

Giulia said...

Ah, another lily is born. My favorite flower, names of a niece & a wonderful cat. I love the synchronicity here. Welcome to the world, Lily.

xoxo

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lily is such a lovely old-fashioned name. She is a lucky litlle girl to be surrounded by so much love. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Mary-Laure said...

GIULIA - it bodes very well that Lily is the name of one of your nieces and a precious kitty.
She's going to be an exceptional child!

MARY - believe me, she is already completely flooded with love! I can't wait to meet her.

Dana said...

What a pretty name for a girl! Congratulations to your friend

Penney said...

A favorite artist of mine, and Lily also! I actually named a Corgi of ours Lily! She was a real ..Tiger Lily at that!
You will have such fun with her..
xo,P

Robin said...

How perfect a name for a lovely child. (Hmmmm...seems like "the Oracle" was channeling those "psychic" thoughts...)

Hugs,

♥ Robin ♥

p.s. I adore Sargeant!

Mary-Laure said...

PENNEY - Tiger Lily! I like that. I hope this little one will be both fierce and gentle.

ROBIN - you are absolutely right, I think we can see the Oracle's magical paw in these coincidences.

carina said...

Beautiful name. Love to have found a fellow Sargent admirer. Did you read my answer to your post over at my blog? In case you didn't I'll just recommend it here:-) You must read 'The Venetian Hours of Henry James, Whistler and Sargent' by Hugh Honour and John Fleming if you haven't already.

Must get a hold of the book you write about here.

Gabbi said...

Beautiful name and post. ♥ It's wonderful how nicely things are connected sometimes... renews my faith in fate and all good things to come. Thank you so much for sharing Mary-Laure!!

Mary-Laure said...

CARINA - I'm so thrilled we have this is common! I am definitely getting the book you recommended.

GABBI - what renews my faith in fate and all good things is you and other wonderful bloggers such as you, querida Gabbi.

Laura in Paris said...

What a beautiful post! The book has fairy illustrations, and the little had is very chic indeed.
I'm very happy for Mariame.

simon said...

Nice name- in fact my mothers artist name is Lili.....

Mary-Laure said...

SIMON - your mother is an artist? How wonderful!

Marci said...

Es un nombre precioso!
Me encanta S. Sargent .
Y que envidia el perro viajero,,,supongo que se porta de maravilla!

Annie said...

I have been thinking about how much I love that name, wonderful.
Wonderful paintings too. xoxo

Keith said...

I love the name Lily. Congrats to your friend. Take care.

Mary-Laure said...

MARCI - si, el perrito se porta a maravilla, muy feliz en Paris con mis padres.

Elsa May said...

Lily is such a timeless and pretty name. What wonderful serendipity that you had posted the Singer Sargent image the day Lily was born....

mysterymoor said...

That picture blows my mind every time!

Mary-Laure said...

ANDREA - which one do you mean? Sargent's Carnation Lily Lily Rose?