Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tribute to Kenya


Kenya is in the news, with distressing reports of violence and unrest.
That country is always on my mind, as I spent a couple of blissful years there as a child; I have an old photograph of the Kilimanjaro in my room (while technically in Tanzania, the regal mountain can be seen from Kenya). I took a picture of the photograph to share with you on this blog, and then realized that a reflection of me snapping the pic can been seen in front of the mountain.
I like its ghost-like quality and its implication that, somehow, I am also a part of that country, of that landscape.

7 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

Beautiful picture, Marylaure. Keep it preciously because since it was taken, Mount Kilimanjaro has lost a lot of snow! Actually, it has lost 80% since 1912 ... you'd be surprised if you were to go back to Kenya.

Anonymous said...

beautiful image and tribute mary-laure. I am also interested to hear about your experiences in your other hometowns, i'm intrigued actually - different languages, different food, different people, must have been exciting but very difficult at the same time.

Unknown said...

This is a really great photo. Its also a shame that Kilimanjaro's snowy peak is melting. I think its the only place in Africa where you can find snow. Global warming strikes another victim.

marie said...

beautiful mountain - it must have been magical living in kenya as a child - have you been back since then?

Anonymous said...

Check this article in today's online issue of NYT:
Mount Kilimanjaro: On Africa’s Roof, Still Crowned With Snow

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

You left an imprint on the land. Part of your soul will always be there.

Anonymous said...

I think the photo is even better with your reflection because it makes it more....real. Are you french ? Or do you just live in France ?