Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I love my April 77/PETA T-shirt


When I heard that the vegan brand April 77 had designed a limited edition 'Meat Is Still Murder' t-shirt, with half the proceeds of the sales going to PETA, I ran to Colette, the famous Parisian boutique (rue Saint-Honoré), where snotty salespeople descended from their lofty pedestal to seemingly do me a favor in selling me said coveted t-shirt.
(Best worn with a pencil skirt.)

As you can guess, I am a vegetarian!
For those of you who are interested in animals in general, in addition to classics by Jane Goddall and Dian Fossey, I recommend the recent 'Bears' by Bernd Brunner which I already mentioned here and 'No way home' by David Wilcove, about how humans are disrupting the migrations that are essential to many a species' survival.
If you want to learn about animals and ethics, the best place to start is definitely 'In Defense of Animals - the Second Wave' edited by Peter Singer; I also have a soft spot for 'The Lives of Animals', by J.M. Coetzee, my favorite living novelist.
It's also a good idea to go to PETA's website, and for those of you who still think fur is no big deal, watch this video - be warned, it may cause post-traumatic stress disorder...

Be sure to visit tomorrow, as I'll be sharing a very special (vegetarian) French treat...

16 comments:

Joanna Goddard said...

i did'nt know you were a veggie. that's awesome. i pretty much am, except now and again i have fish or chicken or a bite of my boyfriend's steak (guiltily).

can't wait for the french recipe!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Oooo I really love this shirt.

comfies said...

i still eat fish. and once in a blue moon, chicken. but for most of my life no red meat. and then there's the whole leather thing. i sometimes think i'll stop wearing leather but it's hard to find good shoes!

Michelle said...

That is indeed a very cool shirt, I love the fact that its also going to a good cause as well. Guilt free shopping!

marie said...

ooh a french vegetarian dish!
thats my only (very small) disappointment when in france.. there arent many vegetarian dishes to choose from! je l'attends avec impatience!!

Fleurette said...

i love april77 and the brand's statement. <3<3

LBA said...

And now I want to get out the Morrissey CD's ...

( like I need an excuse :)

Gorgeous shirt - I can *so totally* see it with a pencil skirt..

Anonymous said...

you have a beautiful dancer's neck!

Anonymous said...

Great t shirt, It's the first time I come to your blog, looks really nice

Anonymous said...

Where's "my" link? PUT IT UP!!!

Anonymous said...

I am on your blog again from Miami. so cool!

Anonymous said...

Benjy the Oracle, tell me if you're also vegetarian ...

momo said...

great shirt!
We should swap recipe sometime!

Anonymous said...

i'm in love with this shirt, but can't find a way to buy it online!!!

unfortunately i don't have the money to go to Paris from Australia for this wonderful garment :(

Anonymous said...

I love this tee!!!
Where can I find it online?Please let me know:)

Anonymous said...

We still have some in our flagship store in Paris, and we'll be putting them up on APRIL77MARKET when it's up and working!
Cheers,
Meredith
APRIL77