Sunday, February 17, 2008

London skies and Russian Red lips



I love London, where I just spent a supremely sunny weekend (yes, really).
9 a.m.: the blue canvas seen through the roof of St-Pancras - the Eurostar now reaches London in a mere 2 hours, and arrives at St-Pancras rather than Waterloo station (the witty slogan of the ad campaign, featuring Napoleon in front of cheering soldiers, reads "Forget Waterloo!").
Noon: the spindly branches of Russell Square, in literature-infused Bloomsbury (think Virginia Woolf but also Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, who were married in the neighborhood).
4 p.m.: clear skies above the British Museum, where the beauty of the looted Greek exhibits is sure to make me teary-eyed.

I love London, though it's where, a few months ago, what little intellectual self-esteem I had was crushed Humpty-Dumpty style (no words of comfort please, I'm not fishing for solace), into painful shards; appropriately, Blondie's "Heart Of Glass" played on my ipod all weekend, and as a nod to Debbie Harry's hard-edged rock chic, I wore MAC's Russian Red lipstick.

In the days to come I'll share snippets from my shopping booty, glimpses from the British Museum exhibition on Chinese's art fascination for nature and more...

14 comments:

Jo said...

yay! i heart museums and i can´t wait to your british museum post!!

Mary-Laure said...

Oh Jo, I'm so happy to hear that! I was afraid readers may be bored by a post about a museum...
I heart (make it BIG heart) museums too, and the British Museum has a very special place in my heart. What's your favorite museum?

marie said...

i love museums..they're the best place to escape to for whatever reason, or for no reason at all..
they are so peaceful, and so many stories can be found!
(and i'd love to go to london for the weekend..)

Anonymous said...

I love these photos. Such a very personnal sight of London.

Andrea Tachezy said...

I am looking forward! I have never been in London and chinese´s art sounds great.

Elina said...

I'm a museum- and London-lover too! So anxiously waiting for your future-posts!

Esti said...

London and museum in the same sentence... Sounds great! I'm all for museums. And as the others said, can't wait to see your pictures...

Anonymous said...

Sympa les photos!

ALL THE BEST said...

Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see your photos!! Glad you had nice weather.

Mary-Laure said...

I'm thrilled that no only Jo but also Marie, Andrea, Ekub and Etsi are excited about the museum posts - I suspect Ronda, from All The Best, is also a museum lover, as she loves art... I wasn't sure I'd feature them but now I'm cleaning up my pictures like crazy!

Anonymous said...

I love the British Museum too! Whenever I'm in London I compulsely go to the BM, oriental antiques, and stroll along the Assyrian stone frescoes. Then I feel I am ready.

mansuetude said...

lovely lovely lovely images... those windows and webbings...such the stuff of life--and looking up!! I like.

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

Thanks for taking all fo us on vacation... and i am off to buy that lipstick because I want to be just like you!

Anonymous said...

How is that new station? I've heard St. Pancreas is the new meeting place in London. N'est pas?